Since getting back from Halifax, it was a morning routine for me to scour the headlines daily for news of the situation in Kingston. While it didn't take long for Jamaica to fall from international interest, access to local newspapers online allowed me to keep up to date. Curfews in effect. People being detained. Guns and ammunition confiscated. Disapproval of the Prime Minister. A $20,000USD bounty on Dudus' head. Not exactly heartwarming headlines, but calmer in comparison to the last week of May.
Every time I was at my computer I'd been keeping an eye on the icon that indicates when I have a new e-mail. Each time it lit up, I would mentally cross my fingers for the e-mail to be from Becky Field, my Dalhousie supervisor, or Dr. Cesar Toro, my IOCARIBE supervisor. Ever since I was told I couldn't go to Kingston yet, I've been waiting to be told when I can. There were a few false starts - my ticket was originally re-booked for the 13th of June, but pushed back to the 19th when Dr. Toro indicated he would be out of the country. After that I was put on hold 'until further notice'. I'm not a fan of being in limbo. I can handle being a patient person, but a constant state of unknowing (along with a secret fear that they just might call off the whole thing), did not suit me at all. Eventually, as it was bound to happen, the other shoe finally dropped. The UN made the decision to maintain only minimal personnel at their offices in Kingston. Since IOCARIBE operates under UNESCO, that applied to my office. I received word from Dr. Toro that my new arrival date would be August 16th. The 16th of August - over 60 days away. Having just barely managed to survive two weeks without succumbing to cabin fever and the likes, this concept struck me as far from appealing. So I did what any other rational being would do in my position - I didn't acknowledge it. I didn't reply to Dr. Toro right away, and I certainly didn't tell anyone. For 24 hours I just hoped that it wasn't really true.
A day later, I found out that my well thought out avoidance tactics had more than paid off. Becky called me and asked how I felt about going to Colombia for a few months. I smiled. I said I'd love to go. And I verified that the fact that I don't speak a lick of Spanish wouldn't be a problem. It took another week to work out the details, but it was a week with knowing in the near future I would be heading to Cartagena, on the Caribbean coast of Colombia. My mother never quite expected that hearing "I'm going to Colombia" would make her feel better about my safety, but right now my supervisors have decided that's the reality. Rest assured I promised my big sister that I wouldn't get involved with any drugs or any gangs, regardless of the country I'm in.
This morning I received my itinerary, with officially booked flights from Toronto, stopping in Bogotá (capital city of Colombia) and then over to Cartagena. There are already two interns set up in the city, who I met while we were all in Halifax. This works well in my favour, as they've been there for almost three weeks now and they're happy to help me get set up. It feels pretty great to know that I'm finally getting started.
Every time I was at my computer I'd been keeping an eye on the icon that indicates when I have a new e-mail. Each time it lit up, I would mentally cross my fingers for the e-mail to be from Becky Field, my Dalhousie supervisor, or Dr. Cesar Toro, my IOCARIBE supervisor. Ever since I was told I couldn't go to Kingston yet, I've been waiting to be told when I can. There were a few false starts - my ticket was originally re-booked for the 13th of June, but pushed back to the 19th when Dr. Toro indicated he would be out of the country. After that I was put on hold 'until further notice'. I'm not a fan of being in limbo. I can handle being a patient person, but a constant state of unknowing (along with a secret fear that they just might call off the whole thing), did not suit me at all. Eventually, as it was bound to happen, the other shoe finally dropped. The UN made the decision to maintain only minimal personnel at their offices in Kingston. Since IOCARIBE operates under UNESCO, that applied to my office. I received word from Dr. Toro that my new arrival date would be August 16th. The 16th of August - over 60 days away. Having just barely managed to survive two weeks without succumbing to cabin fever and the likes, this concept struck me as far from appealing. So I did what any other rational being would do in my position - I didn't acknowledge it. I didn't reply to Dr. Toro right away, and I certainly didn't tell anyone. For 24 hours I just hoped that it wasn't really true.
A day later, I found out that my well thought out avoidance tactics had more than paid off. Becky called me and asked how I felt about going to Colombia for a few months. I smiled. I said I'd love to go. And I verified that the fact that I don't speak a lick of Spanish wouldn't be a problem. It took another week to work out the details, but it was a week with knowing in the near future I would be heading to Cartagena, on the Caribbean coast of Colombia. My mother never quite expected that hearing "I'm going to Colombia" would make her feel better about my safety, but right now my supervisors have decided that's the reality. Rest assured I promised my big sister that I wouldn't get involved with any drugs or any gangs, regardless of the country I'm in.
This morning I received my itinerary, with officially booked flights from Toronto, stopping in Bogotá (capital city of Colombia) and then over to Cartagena. There are already two interns set up in the city, who I met while we were all in Halifax. This works well in my favour, as they've been there for almost three weeks now and they're happy to help me get set up. It feels pretty great to know that I'm finally getting started.
Hi Jen,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to wish you safe travels as you get ready to embark on your internship. I look forward to reading your entries on your blog and will keep you in my prayers that you stay safe.
Aunt Paula xoxo and Daisy >^.^<